Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dalis Collins

Ok, well I was kinda of interested in the topic of virtual worlds and opened the required reading, Avatars and their Creators, early. From our discussion in class, I was actually disgusted by the entire idea which naturally being an average American rather than deterring me from further exploration piqued my curiosity enough that I dived in. With obesity and the lack of real relationships a real problem in today’s society, this just seemed like fuel for the fire. Therefore, I was not surprised to find the picture of the teenager who was grossly obese and dropped out of school because of his obsession with the game.
However, I was surprised by the amount of good these activities had to offer. I was especially struck by the picture of the teenage on the respirator who explained that the game was his connection to the outside world. In the “real” world, people are often awkward around him or do not give him the respect and independence he craves because of his disability. The game gave him an opportunity to experience things that would otherwise be impossible and form meaningful relationships with other players that was not biased by his disability.
There were numerous other stories like this. From the guild members from all over the US that supported its other members after Katrina to the woman who conquered her inability to connect with people, it just goes to show that nothing is all bad. I still feel strongly against its excesses. It is addictive like gambling, but with proper moderation and restriction has a place in the world. I believe its uses for people with social anxiety, autism, and other disabilities and disorders needs to be investigated. This could be one of the strongest tools at our disposal that is currently underutilized because no one is doing the necessary research and education.
I have to admit I personally feel like for the average person investing too much time in “virtual” worlds is pathetic (strong word, I know). I would hate to see “virtual” hiking replace real hiking. I would hate to see “virtual” meetings replace real. I would hate to see the beauty of the world around us replaced by the insignificance contained in a 12” by 12” screen.

No comments: